The concept of understanding audiences came in salesman’s dictionary back in the late 1800s. Everything was different then; theories, theories about the audience, and their expectation. This concept is still valid today.
What we can learn from assumptions that have been made in the past is that audiences and their expectations are based upon their particular individuals. We have to understand the mindset of our people and then not pull any surprises.
To understand a specific audience it would help to ask five simple questions about them, their background, how certain they are about content, and, ultimately, their level of expertise.
Questions to find your audience
- The first question relates to the true nature of the audience. Are they homogeneous, or do they have different strengths and weaknesses? Do you want the audience to feel like a homogeneous group or more like one?
- The second question relates to specific audience needs. In many cases, people only hear from those that they perceive as successful. Are they more likely to buy? Do they have new sources who supply them with the information they want, or do they, for example, are the more successful people saying what other people are saying? These questions have to be asked about specific audiences.
- The third question relates to other audiences. Do you want your audience well connected to older audiences o,r do you want younger audiences to be more receptive to you?
- The fourth question relates to an audience’s beliefs about how to do things. Are they conservative or, do they have a thick skin? Do you want everyone to be conservative? Do you want people to follow or precedent flows? Are people who have little success with their business to have them over and over again? Do you want them to reap what you have sown or, do you want them to pick up the baton from someone who has more experience?
- The fifth question relates to the budget. Do you have limits or, do you have freedom? Do you want a general audience or, do you want a niche audience? These questions are very important and impact a lot on a specific audience.
The recipe for success
Now the thing is that audiences are individual minds, and everyone is different. What matters is finding out what people are like and what they like and don’t care about and place them in the right work. Every individual must understand that they are unique with their particular strengths and weaknesses.
Few people follow a recipe for success, and success will always come a little bit slower. With any recipe, however, you must change a few ingredients or ingredients that will be gone. A recipe is perfect until the last ingredient is added. In this case, too, you have to know what you do not want before you select a recipe.
Knowing when to adjust the ingredients is a bit more complicated but not impossible. The right people in the right places at the right time can make these recipes work magic. Business is no different than cooking. Different ingredients will have different effects. Sometimes it is good to reach out to others for input, to get their honest opinion as to what they would recommend.
The key is in the preparation, thinking, and putting the “right” ingredients into the mixture. The ingredients will interact to create a perfume, an appeal, or a flavor. In this way, given the right amount and combination of the right ingredients, the detector will signal reality.
We can tell others what we want without a problem until come to think of it, we have about a hundred people at a show. When they take a look around, they like to sell their patients or recommend a person to a new one. This is a cycle that goes on and on until we reach out to someone that will make a new recipe that appeals.
So the bottom line is to know who you are(your audience), understand what you like and what you don’t like, prepare with the ingredients you want in a particular inundated quantity, and then or if, semi- apathetically, let your audience react. After they tell you what they will accept, let them handle the recipe and do their own thing. You can then provide the signal if your recipe is strong which is your certain, you have a great recipe.
This is the place to make this formula work with you. That is how it will become your recipe for success in your business and life.
Read more here: